I’ve heard it said that “When we work, we work, but when we pray, God works.” Any healthy relationship always has great communication. If you want to grow closer to a persons heart you and I need to engage in active listening and sharing of our thoughts and concerns.
It is the same with prayer. God wants to listen to us, but God also wants to speak into our lives. You may ask, “How does God speak to us today? 4 ways…
- God speaks through the BIBLE – 2 Timothy 3:16,17 says, “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses His Word to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
- God’s Word teaches us what is true
- Makes us realize what is wrong
- Corrects us when we are wrong
- Teaches us to do what is right
2. God speaks to us through PRAYER – Revelation 3:20 says, “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
- God always initiates the conversation. We think we are the ones that are chasing after God, begging Him to listen to us. What we need to realize is every second of the day, God is pursuing us. He is knocking on our hearts door asking if He can come into our lives, to direct our lives and fill our lives with His Spirit. Prayer is simply answering the knock on our hearts door and opening ourselves up to hearing from God. I will pray the “Our Father” prayer. Or I will use the A.C.T.S. prayer (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication)
3. God speaks through GODLY WISDOM – Proverbs 1:5 says, “Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance.
- God will use godly advice to speak into our hearts. I prayed for years for godly mentors and coaches in my life. When I come to a crossroads in my life and I need guidance I will read God’s Word, pray and then seek our godly counselors. It has really been life giving to me. I encourage you this year if you do not have a mentor to seek one out in 2016. You will not regret it.
4. God speaks to us through COMMON SENSE – Proverbs 1:1-3 “The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel: 2 for gaining wisdom and instruction; for understanding words of insight;3 for receiving instruction in prudent behavior, doing what is right and just and fair…
- God speaks through the Bible, Prayer and Godly wisdom but at some point He has also given you and I a brain and he wants us to use it. Do your Pro’s and Con’s lists and after you have done all of that, make the best decision and be strong and courageous and move forward in faith.
God still speaks, the question is, are we listening. Praying you and I have an extraordinary new school year.
PC (Pastor Chuck)